10.08.2004

if we let him go on like this

Have you ever tried to fix something that was broken and actually made it worse? Like trying to sop up spilled paint on a carpet and discovering yourself spreading the stain and ingraining it? You wonder what would have happened had you simply let the problem remain: would the remaining truly have been better than the worse?

I don't speak of my condition(s) or the details around it(them) simply because I want to avoid the inevitable response. You know they have medicine that can treat that now. It's not that I'm unaware of the existence of these (false) balms. It's that I don't believe in their usage on a fundamental level, and I fear the potential staining and ingraining.

On the first point, if you believe in evolution (fool) then mental illness is a way of thinning out the weak. No reason to subsidize what shouldn't be. If you believe other than foolishness, then mental illness is your cross to bear. Bear it, bearer.

On the second point, I know who I am and know how to deal with me (for the most part). I don't know how to deal with me after the sopping, or even if there would still be a me. And while some of them may be shadows, some of them are also light; losing the shadow at the cost of losing the light is no small risk. I'll keep both if it means keeping the one.

No comments: