10.17.2004

if you believe, you will see the glory of God

I've wondered before whether tis easier to see God during trial or during joy. I took a mulligan on the question and looked at both sides (the whole spitclay-eyes episode). I don't know why I bring this up again if I'm only taking another mulligan; I just want to describe something remarkable.

In John 11, Martha loses a brother but gains eternity. Asked a direct question, in v 27, she worships. Doesn't matter that she lost Laz; doesn't matter that she partially blames God; doesn't matter that she has no clue what is going to happen. She knows one thing, and that one thing she clings to it, clings to it, in the midst of loss/trial.

SJ are going through something right now. SJ lost something. This loss and trial, I don't know what I'd do. I don't know if the whole clinging is what I'd be taking with me in someone else's post. But today in the midst of a congregation, SJ worshipped in a way that twists something inside you.

That's what worship is: clinging. And to do it during trial doesn't answer the earlier question (the first), but it answers the direct question. SJ, eternity is on line one for you for pickup.

No comments: