1.04.2005

also came among them to present himself

Job gets more fascinating the more I read it, and has quickly become one of my favorite three books of the Bible (Ephesians and John being two and one, respectively). The language reads like the best of Shakespeare in meter and word choice. At the same time, it dispenses the most mystical of the workings of Heaven with its description of temptation and trial and the gatherings of beings the likes of which we cannot imagine.

I'll mention one scene in detail that came before my eyes, and that is the shadowed whisperings that come to Eliphaz in 4. You can imagine in v12 and beyond the sleeper and the dark wisps about his ears; the leathery whisperings; the venom dripping from v17 and beyond, culminating in the declaration in 5 (v4) neither is there a Deliverer.

Chills, I tell you. Chills.

No comments: