5.10.2005

justice has not allowed him to live

Back to the balance thing, I bring that all up because today's reasons make clear that focusing on just the mercy is only half of it. Many believe the John quote of God being love is the central message of the whole Bible, and focus on the cross and their new palship with Christ. And yes, the central message is redemption and what was done. But to ignore the why behind the doing, and to ignore the expectations against the continuing to sin is reading an incomplete message.

Today's readings touch on how much He condemns those who choose against Him. To choose justice without mercy, well, you'll get that.

"Call upon Me in the day of trouble;
I shall rescue you, and you will honor Me."

But to the wicked God says,
"What right have you to tell of My statutes
And to take My covenant in your mouth?

"For you hate discipline,
And you cast My words behind you.

"When you see a thief, you are pleased with him,
And you associate with adulterers.

"You let your mouth loose in evil
And your tongue frames deceit.

"You sit and speak against your brother;
You slander your own mother's son.

"These things you have done and I kept silence;
You thought that I was just like you;
I will reprove you and state the case in order before your eyes.

"Now consider this, you who forget God,
Or I will tear you in pieces, and there will be none to deliver. {Ps50:15-22}

Take note of the rending, hardheart. Please.

No comments: