12.01.2005

they presented to Him gifts

One of my favorite carols bar none doesn't get the credit it deserves. I mean, I can imagine that it is hard to place it above the heralding angels, joywishing, and fidelis adeste-ing and all. But this just deserves more attention.

Other carols focus on the season's reason, as they should, and focus on different aspects of the Christmas story -- Mary, the manger, the wisemen, the angels in celebratory joy and wonder, the child Himself. Heck even the city gets its own piece.

What draws me to the Drummer is that he is me. Nothing, nothing can I bring to the throne of grace. Nothing, nothing can I do to thank Him enough for the greatest of gifts. Nothing have I but what He gave me. So that last verse hits me every time where all drummer, all I can do is what He has given me to do for the singular hope of being rewarded with one priceless smile.

No comments: