12.23.2005

will rest on him

These guys appeared on Jay Leno of all places to sing songs from their latest Christmas Album. Linked a few days ago to one of the songs on that album that has been breaking my heart lately. In a recent interview, they had this to say about that song:

I noticed that of all the 12 songs on your album, "Joseph’s Lullaby" is the only one written by you and MercyMe. How were you inspired to write the song and why was it the only MercyMe original?

Our whole intention was to make a record of songs that we grew up with and change them up a little bit, but we kind of stumbled on writing "Joseph’s Lullaby." The irony is when I originally wrote the song, it was called "Mary’s Lullaby." I wrote it from Mary’s standpoint and it was in a higher key, a real falsetto, and it just wasn’t right. One day, the producer’s wife said, "Well, it’s kind of odd that you’re singing from Mary’s perspective, being the guy. Why don’t you do Joseph?"

It just hit me like a ton of bricks. I never knew why it didn’t cross my mind to do that. So I went through the song and just put some more masculine lyrics, and it took on a completely different life. As a father myself, I wondered if he [Joseph] went through the same things I did. Did he become instantly protective, did he have an idea of what was to take place through the life of Christ and become even more selfish and hold him closer?

We started writing the song in December 2004, a month after my 2-year-old son was diagnosed with diabetes. I spent a week in the hospital watching my son. I couldn’t do anything, I couldn’t fix the diabetes, and it was a really hard time, but it played a role in helping me write the song. I never understood why you never heard much about Joseph. I’ve always wondered, from a father’s perspective, how he felt, especially since, technically, Jesus wasn’t his child, though he didn’t love him any less. There had to be something in Joseph that just wanted to hold his son and say, "Regardless what life brings and what’s to take place, tonight you’re mine, you’re safe, and just find a way to sleep."
Reminder to self: this is how the Father thinks of you, too. Only difference is He knows what life is going to bring to you -- and still all He wants for you is to rest, sweetly rest, in Him. The heartbreaking isn't all about you and your son, but you and His Son.

No comments: