1.11.2006

wrestled with him until

I'll be asking the following question in an upcoming study:

"If someone were to offer you 40 years of extraordinary wealth in return for your soul, would you take it? Does that sound like a good deal? Why or why not? What are God’s riches and promises in Christ?"

Anyone who answers right away, "No, of course not" is either lying and pretending to be more righteous than he is, or is not really listening to the question. And yes, I am doubting the faith of all people. Because it is not human to be otherwise. Liar wouldn't let you answer that automatically. The struggle in the walk of faith is balancing what we know tangibly -- the everyday -- with what we know temporally -- the eternal.

I love Him completely, and long for infinity. But even then there is a half-second pause before the no. I don't pretend to be more righteous than any. In fact, I am on record as stating the opposite is true. But my struggle is all's struggle. Satisfaction now, or satisfaction later. If people are having a hard time with that question as it relates to candy bars, multiply that by eternity, and you think that struggle somehow disappears?

No comments: