4.13.2006

He is unique and who can turn Him

Do yourself a big favor and go here and listen to that first single ("Matchless") play. Don't do anything else. Listen and be still. Wonderful chorus speaking of the unique wonderfulness that is the Lord Jesus.

Site doesn't allow you to listen and read at the same time, so the below is excerpted from the same site, in the lyrics section, regarding the inspiration for the song. Not much to say after that. Read and then listen again.
God has no equal. He is unparalleled. In His very name is meaning beyond our understanding and yet even more unfathomable is that He loves us more than we can experience from anybody else. And one day everybody’s going to admit that His name IS, in fact, Matchless.

I grew up in a city just outside of Pittsburgh called Aliquippa and attended Crestmont Alliance Church where my Dad was raised, my parents were married, and I was dedicated as a baby. These last two things were performed by the Reverend C. E. Mock, a man who simply emanated dignity from the way he talked, walked, and spoke. He was a tall guy with a deep voice and purposeful speech. He pastored at Crestmont for 12 years (a pretty long time by today’s standards), and everyone loved him. I remember he seemed to always close his prayers with “In the Matchless name of Jesus, Amen.” Of course, he would pause just before and after the word “matchless”. I never gave much thought to what that word might mean, just like I never cared to think about what in the world “Amen” really meant. It was just something we would say at the end of a prayer. Heck, I was only about 10 years old.

It wasn’t until I noticed my current pastor, Randy Pope, saying the same thing every once in a while to close a prayer that I thought, “hmmm….matchless…Match-less…has no match …unequalled…unmatched…unrivaled…that’s a pretty bold adjective!” So with that in reference to His name, I set out on a search for all the names of Jesus to put to song. I need to be reminded what His names are and what He does. And instead of just telling myself, I might as well keep that line of communication open with the “Famous One” with a matchless name Who is the subject of this song.

Rev C. E. Mock has since met the Matchless Jesus face-to-face and has already begun to “sing before his throne forevermore”. He lived a great life but, man, I’m sure there is no comparison to the life he is living now. Unequalled. Unrivaled. Matchless.

No comments: