5.05.2006

different, and His clothing became

Ordinarily, I'd rip an artist whose songs I think are cheesy or try too hard. The case can almost be made for this to fall into that category. And I'm not saying it isn't in that category now, or will one day end up in that category. I'm just saying that for today, I didn't find it that bad. Faint praise, indeed.

I think I'm more attracted to the idea of the song than the actual execution. Much has been made of the fact that Lord hung out with the rabble and the outcasts. And the lyric "my Jesus would never be accepted in my church" is a profound one. That message can't be repeated enough -- that all you so-called "houses of worship" steeped in dollar bills while frowning upon those with lesser means would surely have missed His first coming.

I'd be careful with taking that too far, though. It's a cultural thing. Lord came to those who were sick. That explains His hanging out with outcasts then. Now, though? The wealthy and the intellegentsia would surely fit that bill, seeing as how they routinely turn their back on faith. My guess is that they are among the neediest lot around, calling for a physician as loud as anybody. Perhaps He'd make a quick stop there first after all.

No comments: