8.24.2006

fall from Heaven like lightning

Not just recent pop culture will grace these pages, no sir. Anything that stirs in my mind thoughts from above. In this case, on the road and caught an old movie. You would think a flick that provides a unique perspective on the presence of angels in our lives would appeal to me. And while I found that very cool -- and I'm avoiding any discussion on their choice of using extras from The Matrix as angels -- I am instead going to take issue with their concept of eternity.

In the corny end scenes after Meg Ryan has bought the farm (yes, very sensitive this morning I am), one of the angels asks the fallen Nicholas Cage whether it was worth it to fall for the experience now cut short. The angel basically asks whether one real moment was worth trading for eternity. Nick answers in the affirmative.

While a nation of chick flick chicks and Harelquin romance readers might have swooned at the dialogue and harkened back to Edward VIII, I cringed at this poor understanding of eternity. As I mentioned yesterday, Lord has placed that longing for eternity on our hearts. Eternity is the goal, it is the end. His will for us involves eternity. And for any movie to depict trading eternity for anything as remotely a square deal is ludicrous. It is a fundamental misunderstanding and misstatement of the worth of all of Heaven.

Our hearts were formed with a hole that can only be filled by infinity. And nothing but Christ can fill that hole; certainly not any moment's enjoyment to be found on these shores, know that.

No comments: