8.26.2006

for yourselves and for your children

A moment touched my heart this afternoon. My own father came over to spend just a few minutes bonding with his grandchildren. My father was affectionate, laughing, loving, doting -- all things that were the opposite of how he was to me growing up, or at least how it was perceived by me growing up. No jealousy stirred within me, that's not what I'm bringing up here. Instead it was the lesson crystallized to my mind's ears.

Growing up, my father was burdened with the responsibilities and duties of provision. His thoughts were not on love, but on raising a family. His thoughts were not on the moment at hand, but on the future at stake. His thoughts were not on molding a heart so much as shaping a future. He was occupied with ensuring future happiness by sacrificing present joy.

It is exactly why the Lord tells us in the Gospels not to worry. He instructs us to leave the sparrows and lilies to Him. He asks us to trust Him for all things, for all met needs. Not because He thinks worrying is sinful behavior, but because it distracts us from the enjoyment of a life He died for us to live. He wants fathers to provide via the jobs He has opened, sure. But He thinks the greater priority is to love.

Christian fathers face that struggle every day of their lives. It is a balance hard to achieve. The walk of faith specific to fathers is ensuring that the raising include the love that makes those futures worthwhile. May His wisdom ensure that I find that balance each and every day I am blessed to see my sweet things.

No comments: