11.08.2006

do you not recognize this about yourselves

Spoke with others tonight about moral outrage, and I seemingly couldn't muster as much as others on an issue. And not because the offense being spoken of didn't deserve such outrage; rather, I wasn't sure that such "outrage" was indeed the appropriate response.

"His sin is no greater than my sin," I responded. His act no different in Lord's eyes than any number of sins I commit each day.

There is a paradox at play here. On one hand, I want to be kept apart from outrage at specific sin, lest I fall into the trap of self-righteousness or blindness to my own faults. All sins are equivalent; all keep you from perfection; all will be answered for at the throne. On the other hand, I never want to be desensitized to sin, lest I fall into the trap of apathy or tolerance to wickedness. Word doesn't condemn righteous anger or indignation.

There is some balance, some thin line where one can feel sick by wickedness, while at the same time recognizing that that sickening shadow is not so far away, always at your elbow.

No comments: