12.05.2006

so I ask for what reason

Taught on 1Cor1 this past Sabbath and spent some time reacting to Paul's claim that Jews seek signs, while Greeks seek wisdom -- specifically the sign-seeking characteristic. In and of itself, that is not a characteristic reserved solely for Jews. Paul mentions that as a way to cite the Israelites' long history of testing God.

In any case, it is certainly a characteristic of modern seekers as well. God, if you exist, show me a sign. God, I'll believe in you if you cure my cancer. God, if you really want me to go to church every Sunday, make this chair move. And this isn't reserved solely for unbelievers either. God, if you want me to take on that new ministry, make it clear to me somehow. Is that discernment-seeking or sign-seeking? It depends on the believer and their closeness of walk, doesn't it?

Sometimes I wonder if, at the end of the day, sign-seeking and discernment-seeking isn't really just a system of checks and balances. Really easy to delude oneself on a myrid of issues. It is easy to mistake personal desire and personal belief with Godly leading. It's the reason we have blue states and red states, for example. Personal conviction is mistaken for religious calling in far too many instances. Perhaps this sign-seeking is the same thing as pinching oneself to ensure things aren't some enormous dream.

No comments: