1.20.2007

from the beginning made them male

The modern movement of Godly men has it all wrong. The spending-time-in-the-wilderness, Jesus-was-a-cowboy, steakeating, testosterone-filled, hairy-chested God is inane. There, I said it. Maybe I'm less of a man because I don't find the idea of an afternoon at the firearms factory a good time. Maybe I'm less of a man because raw meat doesn't make me smile. Maybe I'm less of a man because stalking elk isn't the image I have in mind of a moment of intimacy with God.

That movement is not Spirit-driven. This may sound like a focus on how to be a Godly man, but it actually is focused on just the man part of the phrase. And if you're only going to choose one word to focus on in that two-word phrase, you've chosen the wrong word.

Sure, it's great to get jazzed up by grunting along with others while enjoying Braveheart. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the undrossing I need to do so that I can better follow the Master. So, sorry I'm turning down that invitation to join Fight Club. But I'm too busy right now tending to my sheep in the field.

No comments: