1.17.2007

while a promise remains of

Gandhi has a famous quote: "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems."

I like the quote because it speaks about the gap between who we are and who we could be. It is this potential that I am reminded about when my tendencies head toward the world rather than toward God.

On the road now, and I long for much. I long for the wondrous one. I long for the sweet things. I long for a familiar bed, and a skull-crafted pillow. I long for rest, and I long for more than a weekend home.

And yet I don't long for more time in prayer. I don't long for more time in the Word. I don't long for a walk that is never more than an arms-length away from an indescribable hem. I don't long for worship, and I don't long for the rest saved for the heavy-laden. And the quote reminds me that who I could be, that potential me is someone who could do so much.

No comments: