2.12.2007

for the powers of the heavens

Tired yesterday, but still energized by the brethren and by meditating on Psalm18. Beautiful one, starting from the very beginning: "I love Thee, O LORD, my strength." Only rolls along from there, with six names for God in v2 alone. By v7, it is this rollicking recitation of the strength and power by which the Lord saves, with imagery a man would love. v20 is the start of a reminder that the saving was in relation to faithful obedience, so be clear on that.

v29 was the kicker for me. David is so jazzed relating the tale of the Lord's power, is so filled with excitement over what a mighty God is on his side, that he claims in the second half of v29, "and by my God I can leap over a wall."

This is no empty claim, lest you think I am stating that. No, by my God, David and I can do anything. Faith believes that. This is not a false imagery of nonexistent strength. If you think that strength is somehow innate in either David or me, you would be right to claim folly. Rather, the statement reflects what the faithful know: by His strength there is no upper limit. Ps18:29 is the same sentiment expressed in Phil4;13, only much, much cooler.

No comments: