3.05.2007

were listening to these things

Seeing me plugged into my iPod, a colleague asked me what songs changed my life. He proffered his, the usual suspects of the Beatles, U2, Nirvana, and other popularly recognized pieces of critical acclaim. I responded that the question didn't make sense to me. Songs don't change lives. They might be appreciated for their great beauty. They might even shed light on an issue, give you a fresh perspective. But songs don't change lives.

Later, plugging back in, a familiar favorite hymn came through and I could physically feel a difference, could feel myself drawn toward the throne. Recognized, then, that music certainly can affect you in very clear and direct ways. Perhaps even draw you to the throne. And approaching the throne, what is that if not life-changing?

No comments: