5.02.2007

and you hindered those who were entering

Woke up this morning with a song in my head. Haven't sung this in I don't know how long, so will chalk up its filling my head as a message from the Lord. Sounds and feels to me like a youth-oriented song, but if so, the lyrics are completely wasted on them. The line "objects of mercy who should have known wrath" uttered to double-time clapping by eighteen-year-olds loses the fullness of its meaning, methinks.

Why is it that I like this song, but cringe a bit imagining it on a Sunday morning with the flock? The lyrics are certainly no different than other worship songs, and so I guess in this case, the beat and melody do matter. And if it matters in this case, I suppose it matters in all cases.

Organized religion has created such constructs that it is no wonder flocks are divided over issues like drums or no drums, or more hymns or fewer hymns. And I understand why you need to manage time on a Sunday am to include announcements and tithing and sermon length, and so that you can organize multiple services to accommodate the attendees and the childcare workers. But when such constructs interfere with praise and worship, it makes you understand better why church attendance and growth are such difficult tasks, and makes you question how churches (as we know them) survive at all.

No comments: