5.19.2007

speak to you in figurative language

Reading through Psalms this year, and really trying to focus on their uniqueness (from each other) and their status as actual prayers to God rather than narratives. Ps59 is a good example of what the psalms really are in essence. The psalm was literally written as David is hiding from Saul, and Saul has sent men to lay siege to his (David's) house in order to kill him. David's response is to cry out to God for deliverance.

I've paid attention to the prayers I lift to God, and I don't know that any are worthy of enshrinement into a book of any kind, much less a holy one. I'd say that most people's prayers are bland and uninspiring. Many point to the Lord's Prayer as the definitive word on how to pray. I submit to you that there are 150 models of prayer in the middle of that Bible of yours, and each one of them can teach you a thing or two about the real manner in which to hold conversations with God.

No comments: