10.26.2007

together into one the children of God

As head of my house, I have the responsibility to shepherd my personal flock. To accomplish that goal, I am given the authority to make decisions. These spiritual guidelines, however, are in addition to those inherent in my simply being a father to a young one.

More than the power to set budgets, pick vacation spots, and weigh in on outfit choices, I have the power to break hearts and start tears. I can lift spirits and comfort souls. I can build confidence and I can intimidate otherwise. I can make one cower and I can make one flourish. I can extend a hand or remove a support. I can lead or I can rule.

I'm not making any observations here. I'm merely reminding myself of the choices at hand, and the alternatives to good shepherding.

No comments: