12.12.2007

how has this man become learned having never been educated

Briefly discussed the importance of attending seminary with a brother today. This follows up a conversation I had with a brother (who is in seminary) about six months ago. This follows up conversations I've had with myself for much longer periods of time. Is there any benefit to spending time, money, and effort into credentials valued only by the world?

My first answer would be no. Everything I need to know about theology can be found in one book, THE BOOK. All these commentaries and philosophies and ideas created by man and not inspired by God shed light that might be best lit by the Holy Spirit. And if the benefit of seminary is simply the book learnin' I can invest in a Barnes & Noble membership and pick up everything I need to know.

You might respond that there is a benefit to being taught by professors who've spent their lives studying this material, and interacting with peers who are studying alongside you. My retort would be these professors likely have books out I can read, and if I seek interaction on spiritual matters, why not initiate such discussions with members of my flock?

Do you know that there is a new trend where churches in the Third World are sending missionaries to America? That's how bad Western religion has become. Do you think these missionaries and third world believers and church leaders studied in seminary? Seminary is a man-made institution, a man-made barrier into full-time ministry. Its credentials are valued in the same way Ivy League diplomas are valued by greedy corporations.

My second answer would be . . . well, there is no second answer. I think seminary's a waste of time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I agree with much of your argument, I'd have to come down on the side of disagreeing, for the following reasons:

1) It depends on the man. I have a dear brother who was not schooled beyond high school, and who desired to serve as a missionary. His enthusiasm and spiritual growth aside, he lacked some of the basic knowledge necessary to work in the ticklish field of translating and interpreting the scriptures to another culture. Actual learning aside, his seminary-level work gave him considerable confidence in relating to Christian leaders here in the States, as he endeavored to raise funds.

2) It depends on the seminary. Some seminaries (surely some still survive?) are devoted to the careful study of the Bible as the inerrant Word of God, and create an environment of learning that builds to a crescendo in the life of the seminarian. While I could have learned everything I did in college through books, it would have taken me much longer, and (frankly) I probably lacked the discipline to do it. There is something unique about living in a community of learning, focused on common goals with other bright minds.

So I think that for some people, attending some seminaries, it isn't a waste of time. I'll admit, I don't personally know of a seminary I'd recommend, but then, I'm not seminary-trained. :)

Just my $0.02.

Wept_over said...

A good $0.02 at that. I do tend to be black and white, but do realize not all issues are this cut and dried. For me personally, seminary is a waste of time -- until the Lord directs me otherwise.