1.16.2008

all received, and grace upon grace

At the top of the page I created to list my personal goals for 2008, I have a simple mission statement: "The purpose of these goals is to ensure that I am the person I want to be, and more importantly the person Jesus wants me to be in Him." All I want to do is be who Christ wants me to be.

Churches have their own mission statements. Most have to do with growing community: within the church and outreaching to unbelievers. Do a quick google search for "church mission statement" and you will get some 477,000 links to various ones. Not going to pick on any one church's sentiments since the point of this post isn't to criticize what others are called to.

After discussing missing grace at a meeting last night, I decided on the ride home that I want a simple one for my hypothetical future church: To share the overwhelming grace of God to all. I want the church to continually ask itself whether or not the message it is sending to everyone is how much Christ loves them, how crazy God is about them, how utterly and completely and totally in love with them God is no matter how utterly and completely and totally wretched they are. And if a ministry can't answer that question? Sorry. No place for that at Bethel.

No comments: