1.03.2008

attention to the public reading of

Time in the Word is important, no question. Question: quantity or quality?

For some reason, churches push the quantity over the quality. Even my own has an annual tradition of selling One-year Bibles and preaching the importance of reading through the Bible in a year. I've already done that countless times. By countless, I mean ten times. Still. I've done it in order and by designated reading schedule (NT and OT). I've done it chronologically. Obviously the downside is that it means on some days, I'm merely reading without understanding so I can get through the chunks I need to get through for that day's reading.

Last year, I did three psalms a week and 12 other books. Only 13 books for the year. This year, still the 3 psalms a week, in addition to 9 other books. Only 10 books this year, with some readings being a half-chapter for the day. The intent last year and this year is allowing more time to reflect and meditate and digest smaller pieces of the Word at the sacrifice of not getting to a particular book for several years.

Obviously, the Lord ideally would want quantity and quality, no question. But I'd rather set myself up for success where I can chew on two dozen verses rather than set myself for the potential of allowing Satan to distract my time in the Word with O my goodness look how long today's reading is.

No comments: