2.06.2008

beforehand marked off for this

My reading today is Ps31, and today being Ash Wednesday, a particular verse stood out: "Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; My eye is wasted away from grief, my soul and my body also." {Ps31:9}

The marking of foreheads is one of my favorite Catholic rites that I still practice. Too many churches today (COUGH COUGH Godless health & wealth churches COUGH COUGH) refrain from preaching about sin and repentance. On Ash Wednesday, not only are you focused and reflecting on sin and repentance, but you also mark yourself publicly proclaiming so.

AW also marks the beginning of the Lenten season, and the OPPORTUNITY to sacrifice for 40 days as a sign of commitment to the One who sacrificed Himself for us. Lent is a far better way to show your commitment to Christ than a WWJD bracelet, I'll tell you that.

No comments: