3.01.2008

even now I know that

I better understand why the Lord sought to keep us from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Knowledge of evil is an uncomfortable thing to know. Sitting amidst a crowd at a marriage conference last night, and amidst 50+ couples, there were at least 3 breaking marriages in the room -- and those were just the ones I personally knew. And as the video speaker spoke of dysfunction, I cringed for what those breaking three must feel inside.

I sometimes forget that on every Sunday morning amidst the crowds, there are always people in attendance for whom that Sunday's pulpit message will be speaking directly about their failings. Whether it's a Sanctity of Human Life message to guilt-ridden women, or a message on anger to men with white knuckles, or a forgiveness message to one seeking absolution, we are always surrounded by the broken. I am broken, so I know this to be true. But it's one thing to deal with the recognition of one's own weaknesses. It's altogether a different level of discomfort to deal with the recognition of others' weaknesses. In this case, ignorance truly is bliss.

No comments: