3.10.2008

of their error

Listen, I love Catholics, I really do. In fact, the perfect Christian ideology in my mind blends Cath ideology with Prot ideology. But other times I want to distance myself from Caths as much as possible. Exhibit #231.

There are so many things wrong with the view of sin expressed in this article. The fact that some sins are forgivable and some are not (leave out Mark3/Matt12 for the moment). The fact that sins these days have more "social resonance" because of globalization. The fact that pollution is a sin (don't get me started on CreationCare).

I've written about different perspectives on sin before. My issue with this article is the continued linking of sin to an action; that sin is a noun with very clear definitions (a list that apparently needs to be updated by official councils shudder). No wonder so many think they can go to arbitration before the throne. Vatican councils are keeping checklists of sins, and it would be so easy to point to Exhibit A before God and say "This list is 117 items long, and I've only really broken 2 of them."

I've got a sin to add to that list. How about confusing flocks? Where does that rank?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How right you are. Sin is not only an action, one that incurs the wrath of God, but more precisely, is the condition of all who are not found in Christ. As we have tried to explain to our children: We are not sinners because we sin, but we sin because we are sinners. That is our identity in Adam.
Praise God that we can have a new identity in Christ. We do not have to sin any longer because the control of sin over us has been broken by the sacrifice of Christ and we can now live in His life.
As we have lived in Thailand, and try to undertand the Bhuddist world view to effectively communicate with them, we see similarities between the Bhuddist teachings and Catholic. Both tend to view sin on a sliding scale. Of course Bhuddism would never call it sin though, and both have methods of working your own way out of misdeeds and gaining merit. It makes it confusing for the people we want to reach.
Sin really needs to be understood before a true understanding of ones need for a Savior can follow. I have read your blog quite often now and always appreciate what you have to say.
Your heart for the Lord is clear and desire to speak His Name is encouraging to me.
Thank you

Wept_over said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Tina. Also, I love that clear teaching: we are sinners not because we sin; we sin because we are sinners. Outstanding.