3.26.2008

on him the cross to carry

Need to get this off my chest right now. Our church is missing a cross on its roof, despite my constant protestations. If there's a single reason to participate in our church's building campaign, the lack of an external cross is it -- once we pay off our current debt, we hasten the day we can rebuild the sanctuary and erect a cross.

In related discussions of the need for more crosses in our church, we discussed tonight the placement of a cross permanently within our sanctuary. Currently, the only cross is hidden behind a giant screen (don't even get me started on that, too), so we need another way to make the cross visible within the sanctuary. A glorious and nigh overwhelming one was up for Good Friday services, and the discussion revolved around whether or not it should stand its ground here on out. Disappointingly, there were discussions as to whether or not it was too large; whether or not it should be placed more off to the side; and whether or not it would get in the way of people's weddings and funerals. Aesthetics over symbolism? Lord, give me strength.

At the end of the day, when I have to answer for all sorts of things before my Savior, I'm pretty sure I won't have to answer for whether or not the cross in my sanctuary had enough feng shui; I'm pretty sure I will have to answer (not me, but others will) for whether or not I was too ashamed, uncomfortable, or whatever to proudly display that sign of salvation.

No comments: