5.31.2008

has chosen the good part

Went on a field trip with my daughter on Thursday to a quaint little museum. Part of the tour involved the kids riding a wagon pulled by a horse. The guide warned us to stay out of Jack's way, because he (Jack the horse) wore blinders and could see very little of his periphery.

It is remarkable how easily people justify their bad choices. And it reminds me of that horse with those blinders. We tend to rationalize our lack of will to do good by presenting situations in binary choices that don't show the full range of options available to us. We may let our children wear inappropriate clothing, for example, under the reasoning that it's not as bad as what some other kids wear, and that at least it's under our controlled environment. But the choice was never between complete evil and lesser evil alone; there always exists the choice to do good.

Trust me, friend. No need to justify your choices to me. I'm not the one judging you. But I do warn you this: if I can see the other choices that exist, don't you think the Lord sees even more?

No comments: