6.30.2008

and raise up children to

Been discussing the importance of youth ministry with a brother. I'm going to stand by my belief that the solution to raising Godly young men and women is not investing further in youth ministry workers (not to contract either, or lose that focus, don't get me wrong), but rather to expand men's and women's ministry. The Bible never commands the body to raise the young in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. The Bible reserves that command for parents, specifically fathers. The dearth of Godly young ones is because of the dearth of Godly fathers, make no mistake about that.

I don't want to brag, but I will. My son moved up from preschool to kindergarten, and in his moving up ceremony, all of the kids had to state what they wanted to be when they grew up. Many said "vet"; others stated "policeman" or "doctor". My son said, "When I grow up, I want to be a Godly man."

I'm sure people felt I rehearsed that answer with him. And I did. But not for that ceremony. I'd been teaching him that for over a year. And will repeat that every day until he's fulfilled that desire in his heart. I don't need an Awana volunteer, a Sunday school teacher, or a senior pastor to instill that virtue in my son's heart. And neither does the Lord expect that. If I'm not doing that on my own, then Houston, we have bigger problems.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Youth Ministry belongs in the home and should always start and end there. Unfortunately this does not always happen.

Thats where we come in.

Furthermore, many kids in the community do not have Godly parents, and learn how to follow God through Youth Groups where they may be the only attending person within the family. When I was younger I was the only one in my family going to church for a while.

There are many like this still.

We live in a culture filled with those who do not give the gospel to their youth. And this is where Youth Ministry becomes a priority.

Middle School or Junior High is where youth start to decide who they are as a person or individual for the very first time. One's core beliefs can be decided from this age group on. This is why finding those lost youth in lost families becomes so important.

"Well, there was no question now, we were entering uncharted territory: Junior high school was a whole new ball of wax."

-Kevin Arnold; The Wonder Years

Wept_over said...

Again, not arguing against the importance of having ministries to support youth. Still arguing that we still have no men's ministry, and that's a far larger problem.