6.16.2008

to inquire of him privately

In Matt26, the Last Supper shows Christ prophesying His getting betrayed. He goes on to say that the betrayer was the one who dipped his hand in the same bowl as Him. Disciple after disciple say "Surely, not I, Lord?" Only when Judas says it does Christ respond, "You have said it yourself."

Question: do you think this is done privately or publicly?

If public (as was my common view before today), would not the other disciples have rushed Judas? Peter at the very least might have lunged for him. Might Judas not have run off and gotten the soldiers and Pharisees then, rather than sit through an uncomfortable meal and the teaching and singing that followed?

I can only imagine that Christ prophesied aloud and the next few minutes were spent in silent meditation, each disciple trying to remember who dipped at the same time as the Lord; maybe trying to wonder if they had done so, and whether they would be a suspect. I imagine the dipping allusion to have been made public not to embarrass anyone, but rather to let Judas know that He already knew. And I imagine Christ smiled at every "Surely, not I" that was whispered to Him; perhaps He whispered back something unheard to every one. I don't imagine it was a public announcement of future failure. I'm thankful for a Lord that doesn't do that with me.

No comments: