8.01.2008

being made a public spectacle

The other day I mentioned I'd love to one day attend a Hillsong conference. The video below shows a clip from the opening of one such conference. I'm actually sort of torn by this video. On one hand, it exemplifies the passion and energy and life amidst thousands of believers all in love with Jesus. Christ is with you where two or more are gathered, and here's ten thousand out of their minds for Christ. What a grand experience that would be.

On the other hand, it feels like a rock concert. It is an enormous spectacle by human standards, with a full orchestra and large-screen video, and an instrumental build-up that takes ten minutes to get to Amazing Grace, and lights and a countdown, and it feels contrived.

I want the energy and the masses of believers without the fanfare and the manmade loudness. But maybe I take what I can get and hope Jesus' presence shines through the special effects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you can have the power, energy and life of thousands of believers singing together without the spectacle. I'll never forget my first Promise Keepers event, with 60,000 men singing "How Great Thou Art" in the Silverdome in Detroit. Or the URBANA event I attended at the University of Illinois, with 19,000 students pouring their hearts out, glorifying our Lord with the song, "Shine, Jesus Shine!".

The special effects are a distraction and definitely optional.