10.18.2008

makes no difference to me

Posted before about social networks. One benefit of them is the ability to connect with long-lost friends and acquaintances, some from (depending on your age) a decade or more ago. It is often quite striking to see the changes that people have undergone: that shy one now some social butterfly; that weird one now confident and some model of normality; that little girl now all grown up.

You know what is even more striking than the ones that have undergone change? The ones that haven't.

If you know me at all, you know that I despise change. I would prefer the world to remain within the framework my memories have erected; within the routines my compulsions have formulated. I prefer the status quo. But when I am confronted with that stasis, I am just as discombobulated as I would have been with massive change. While most of me prefers not to change, the part of me that understands how much I have transformed over time is shocked by those that keep their colors. I assumed that the passage of time made change inevitable. Turns out, we do have some choice in the matter.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Thank God I changed.