11.25.2008

in it the toughness of iron

Thanksgiving makes people reflect on all of the great things they have in their lives. In past years I've always felt rather guilty because of the plenty that I have: materially I have more than most; my family is literally perfect; great job; no real stresses or problems in my life. Others around me face far more difficult situations than I do. And in past years, that contrast has made me squirm a little; almost make me wish I had some problems, any problems so that I'd seem more normal.

Now this may border on the arrogant, but here's the thing. I understand that God is behind every detail of every person's life, and the blessings and trials given to people are completely due to His greater plan and His will and His working. I understand that I am nothing and have no part in anything. But I also know that faith is a walk of obedience and that the reward for obedience is blessing (both material and other). And I know that the great things I have in my life -- while all from God -- can be tied back to my obedience.

I am not crowing here. I am not saying that my kids are great because I'm great, or my job is great because I'm so skilled, or what have you. What I'm saying is I don't have to feel guilty about what I have, and I am comfortable giving testimony that when we walk in obedience and have faith in Him, He will be faithful in return. And I am comfortable saying that obedience is HARD. Part of the reason my kids are great is because I pour enormous amounts of energy trying to be a Godly father. Part of the reason my wife is great is because I spend enormous amounts of time being a Godly husband. Part of the reason I enjoy success at work is because I spend sleepless nights and long days being a diligent and Godly worker. Part of the reason I have whatever I have at church is because I strive to be a Godly leader.

And these efforts aren't because I already have great things; rather, the great things are results of the efforts I have put in to be who I'm supposed to be. And it is ENORMOUSLY hard work; faith is not easy. The world paints faith as some blind, happy-go-lucky road of smiles and rainbows. It is hard to fight against culture. It is hard to stand up against evolution. It is hard to not swear, not waste money, not buy into societal beliefs. It is hard to pray daily and stay caught up in daily Bible reading. It is hard to tithe faithfully. And I've had those times in my life when the blessings were few and the walk was rough. Faith is hard. And I know how hard it has been to be faithful.

So this Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for everything I have. And I'm thankful the Lord has given me the will to desire obedience and the strength of will to carry out obedience as much as I can. And I don't feel guilty about that, I really don't.

No comments: