11.09.2008

the world has been crucified to me

"The Cross and the Atonement"
* What is Atonement?
- Definition: reconciliation; restoration of friendly relations; amends between offended party and offender
- Rom3:10-12, Rom3:23 -- God offended, we offenders
* Atonement in OT
- Christ's death central theme of OT and NT
- Christ's death the death of death
- Sacrificial system of OT developed by God as (imperfect) means to appease His wrath
- Lev17:11, Heb9:22 -- only blood sacrifice an atonement for sin against God
* The Cross
- Penal substitution
- Christ is our substitute; Christ has paid the penalty for our sin
- Isa53:3-12
- Jesus perfect fulfillment of prophecy
- God can't forgive everyone sans penalty because it against His nature (justice)
* How cross changes us
- Once enslaved, now free
- Once alienated, now intimate fellowship w/ God
- Once condemned, now pardoned
- Once under His wrath, now He is satisfied
- Once guilty, now forgiven
* What to do with atonement
- God judges all sin: I must let my conscience agree
- My sins merit ultimate penal suffering: I must admit nothing can blot them out
- Only real hope I have in front of holy God is Christ's death
- My faith in Christ is a gift
- Christ's death is the surest declaration of love ever given
- Christ's death constrains me to: trust, worship, serve, love

No comments: