1.06.2009

has chosen the good part

I'm going to lose all my evangelical street cred by saying this, but I simply don't get Israel, or the Protestant love for Israel and Jerusalem and Jews. I haven't studied Scripture sufficiently, I admit, and I know mainline Prots will say something about God having a plan for His chosen people and how much He loves Jerusalem and blah blah blah. I have to be the least pro-Israel evangelical in the world, because I just don't buy it. And unlike some people, I'm not going to try to defend Israel for their recent behavior.

Listen: God doesn't "choose" all of the Israelites. Did He not choose between Cain and Abel? Did He not choose between Isaac and Ishmael? God doesn't "choose" based on race, but on faith. His chosen people are the spiritual seed of Abraham and Isaac and Moses and David et al. -- the ones that follow Him and believe in Him and seek to live for Him. And in my book, constant denial of the Messiah isn't overcome by their historical lineage. All you evangelicals can keep making the excuses you want to make for Israel; but that's why I no longer number myself among your ilk.

2 comments:

Marina said...

I couldn't agree more.

Kevin said...

here here