1.14.2009

shall not follow the masses in

Now THIS is an interesting article. Quick thoughts:
* For the evil NYT, this is a fairly balanced article on religion. I guess a broken watch is right two times a day, and the devil's minions can speak truth every now and then.
* How is it humanly possible to mention the New Calvinists and not mention John Piper even once?! That's like discussing The Lord of the Rings without mentioning the One Ring. Yes, my inner nerd inadvertently likened my favorite pastor to the symbol of evil.
* Love this quote: "There are plenty of comfortable people who can say, ‘God’s on my side,’ ” Harris says. “But they couldn’t turn around and say, ‘God gave me cancer.’"
* I'm reading an interesting book right now that discusses the history of SNL. One interviewee discusses the difference between SNL and the Letterman Show and mentions how SNL cared more about being hip than smart whereas Letterman was the reverse. I'll give you one guess which side Driscoll would come down on in this analogy. That's not a compliment, by the way.
* On the last page of the article, it discusses Driscoll's intolerance of dissent, and how not only did he kick the dissenters out of his church, he called them out on their sin for dissenting against his mandate from God. I promise you -- I promise you -- that I would be the same way if ever I were to start a church. I don't care one whit about becoming a megachurch or pleasing everyone or preventing a split. I care about doing what I think is right by what I believe God is telling me. And if you disagree, the back door is always open, Luke.

No comments: