5.05.2009

with His disciples into the boat

I spent a recent post decrying believers flocking to see wholesome movies, so I won't be a total hypocrite and tell you to rent the movie Evan Almighty. But I will tell you that I was completely surprised by how well they captured the story of Noah's ark, and even more surprised by the accuracy of their perception of God's perspective on things. At the risk of spoiling the movie, I'll call out three particular instances:

Instance#1:
Evan meets God but doesn't know who He is just yet. And when Evan asks Him, "Do I know you?" God responds, "Not as well as I'd like"

Instance#2:
Evan, frustrated with all of the things being asked of him (the least of which is the building of an ark) asks God why He's doing all this to him (Evan). God responds, "Because I love you."

Instance#3:
God is explaining to Evan's wife about how God answers prayers, and says (rough transcript): "If you pray for patience, does God make you patient, or does He give you opportunities to be patient? If you pray for courage, does God make you brave, or does He give you an opportunity to be courageous? And if you pray for your family to be closer, does He make you feel all fuzzy inside, or does He give you the chance to stand beside each other?"

I still believe you shouldn't be searching for wholesome movies just to be entertained. But searching for a movie teaches you something about God and His nature while entertaining you? Maybe that's different. Or I'm a hypocrite. Either way, stop watching Miley Cyrus and HSM. They're stupid.

No comments: