6.18.2009

therefore your whole body is

I've always been in relatively healthy physical shape, despite a diet consisting of primarily beef, cheese, sugar, and mac&cheese. But the past few weeks, I've been running and working out consistently almost every day. I've also changed breakfast from eggs to Cheerios, and been eating one serving at dinner instead of two. All of this extra attention to my physical condition has had one perverse side effect: I am weighing myself constantly and looking in the mirror way too frequently.

I've noted before that the world corrupts purity -- there is a fine line between lust/love, confidence/arrogance, justice-seeking/legalism -- and I think I'm crossing that line between being aware of my health and vanity. I can make the argument I'm doing this just so that I'll live longer for my family, but half the time I'm pretty sure I'm doing this all for washboard abs. And by the way, I don't buy that argument used by believers who love working out and eating healthily that 1Cor11:19-20 commands us to do so because the Spirit dwells in us. That has got to be as flimsy an argument as believers who defend gay rights by saying that God is love. I'm certain being a believer doesn't require a gym membership.

Not sure where I was going with this. Maybe just to let you know that tickets to the gun show are this way *flexes*.

No comments: