9.22.2009

have been hidden from your eyes

In the last few days, Facebook friends of mine have been posting some petition to keep out apps that have the potential to read inbox messages -- just the potential, mind you. It reminded me of petitions against cameras on street corners, and complaints about federal wiretapping. A few years ago, there was discussion about GPS chip implants, allowing parents to be able to know where kids are at all times, and I remember thinking "That would be awesome!" And yet everyone around me was horrified that the government would soon have the potential to know where you are and what you're doing at all times. And I suppose I get why non-Christians would care about their privacy, but I don't know why believers do.

Unless you're at places you shouldn't be at (ex: adult bookstores), or doing things you shouldn't be doing (ex: getting drunk at a bar on the way home from work), what does it matter who knows? I don't care if people track me or read my emails. They'll see I lead a fairly boring life and do lots of stuff for church. And when I sin, then I sin. I'm not ashamed I'm a sinner. Even if the government isn't watching, God is watching. You do remember that, don't you, Luke?

I did hear one argument that if it one day becomes illegal to be a believer (that day is soon coming), and the government can track you, they can arrest you when they know you're gathering for underground church. But eventually even that argument is ridiculous. I'm ready to be persecuted for my faith, and to die for the sake of the gospel. Turns out most believers can say they would too, but when reality comes in the form of GPS chips and online apps, they shrink away.

No comments: