2.08.2012

do not know what He is

I hope it's clear from my post the other day that I am a big fan of the new Jason Gray song "Remind Me of Who I Am". My listening to it about twenty times in the last 24 hrs might be the other clue. So it pains me to say this: the song is fundamentally flawed.

The issue is that the song is self-focused. God is mentioned; the song is a direct plea to the Lord certainly. But God is not the focus of the song. The focus of the song is the individual. The spiritually mature understand that the Christian life should lead you to a place that is 100% Him and 0% us. As JtheB puts it in John3:30, "He must increase, and I must decrease".

Moreover, getting an individual to understand who he is in Christ is a good starting point, but better than that is getting the individual to see the greatness of God. We grow as believers not when we are reminded of who we are, but rather when we are reminded of Who He is.

Remind me of Who He is. Oh, that's right. The Almighty Sovereign One. In that case, I surely, surely must decrease...

No comments: