11.07.2004

made Him a supper

We had Communion during service today. Odd how this is something that has to be announced rather than assumed to be a critical part. It's the one thing I think I miss most about masses. Sure, there's the whole old-guy-wiping-the-holy-cup-folding-the-holy-napkin spectacle. But there's also the intimacy of Communion that non-masses simply miss.

If the central part of what's going on for you is the learning and the hearing of the Word, hey, you and I have no beef. If the central part is the singing, you and I? Still cool. But confuse not the ritual act of mass with something lacking worship. Because I'll tell you what: me, God, internal reconciliation, symbolism, and reminder of the passion? I'll take that seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Literally.

No comments: