2.23.2005

split apart like a scroll

I can barely read the book of Numbers because it nearly drives me insane every time I try. There's a scene in The Matrix at the end where Neo gets up after having been shot, and when he looks around the hallway at the Mr. Smiths, the camera perspective switches so that we see what Neo sees. And what Neo sees are the scrolling green numbers of the Matrix behind the visual images; he sees into another dimension.

Part of my OCD is this different perspective on usually obvious imageries, related particularly to numbers and words. When I hear or see or read numbers, I don't just see the number. I mentally see what makes that number special. Is it odd? Is it prime? What are its factors? What are its unique characteristics? If I see two numbers used in conjunction with each other, I try to see what their numerical relationship is. Can one divide into another? Do they share common factors? When added or subtracted or multiplied does something else happen?

That's why Numbers drives me crazy, especially chaps 1 & 2. I know that every word and every letter and every number used is used purposefully. And thus, as the seemingly rounded tribe counts appear, and as they relate to each other successively or aggregately, I'm left looking for connections.

These numbers, they're still scrolling, ten minutes after finishing up. Someone help me.

Please.

No comments: