8.11.2005

the weak and worthless elemental things

In conversation yesterday -- and in actuality, in conversation with myself since Monday -- the topic of financial modeling in Christianity arose. I don't think I get everything right. In fact, I get most things wrong, I am certain, but on this one point, I'm thinking I'm in the right.

One can make the argument that churches should operate as the world operates since that is how man best understands things -- by relating them to what he is familiar with, by viewing them through his usual worldview. And on the topic of money, especially with churches tight on budgets, why not charge for services? Charge for Bible study booklets; $1 for men's breakfasts; $3 for women's study sitting services?

I'll tell you why: because the bride of Christ wasn't paid for in the same manner. The world's view: personal investment equals value and commitment; services should receive their monetary value. His view: I will pay for it all.

One of these receives worldly acceptance and recognition. One of these results in commendations before the throne. Your choice, bride.

No comments: