11.16.2005

a stumbling block to me

Tell me again how this makes sense? You'll say to me that preventing sin is the responsibility of those in authority. You'll say that removing temptation is a good thing and nothing to be ashamed of. I don't disagree with either of your points.

But first, slippery slope there, happy feet. It is not possible for you to remove all hindrances. Give me a stick of wood for a gift, and I could turn it into a weapon to do harm. Give me a doll, and I could use it in sexually inappropriate ways. Sin is in the heart, not in the object. That gift could also be, as it is for me, a means of drawing ever closer to the presence.

Second, the role of those in authority is better served not as gatekeepers, and preventers, but rather teachers of self-control and discipline. Integrity is what you do when no one is looking. Ergo, teaching them the controlled will is the better gift.

No comments: