3.09.2006

one of these little ones who believe

Google "Living Last Supper" yourself and you'll see the 565 references that pop up. Here are some of the examples I found. Apparently quite popular. First version of this play occurred in 1954. I'm sure over the 5 decades since then, more modern versions appear. Understandable. But I hope they don't change or modernize the first soliloquy from the original, which explains a scene in John 1 I'd always wondered about -- Nathaniel and the fig tree incident.

The version of the play I have says:

"In my country, when working mothers go into the fields, they place their little babies under the shade of the nearest fig tree. The large leaves shelter the babies from the hot rays of the sun. So the Master was actually telling me that He had known me since the day I was born."

The sweetness of that recollection resonates. He has chosen you since the very beginning. Anecdote from my own life: mother seeking to claim my little ones, asking for them while they were still womb-resting. Always turned her away with a polite, "No, this one's mine." And the Lord was like that for all believers. Seeing you in the belly, finding you lovely. Claiming you from the liar. From the very beginning. Knowing you since the day you were born. "No, this one's mine."

No comments: