5.10.2006

and the meaning of this statement was hidden

Maybe Paul has some special power being the greatest of the apostles and all, I don't know. But I don't know what to make of his statements in 1Cor5. In v3, he talks about judging someone from afar. In context, it doesn't seem to me that he's using the word "judge" as if he has chosen some adjective, but rather some actual consequence or status. Then in v5, he discusses delivering up sinners to Satan.

How does one deliver another up to Satan? In our original sin state, we are already his. We have need for rescue. That's what the whole cross thing is about. Delivering another back to their original master, what's that mean -- getting him on the phone and filing a complaint? Attaching some spiritual return-to-sender stamp?

But then Paul reverses himself in the second half of that verse, stating that his intent in delivering up the one to liar is for saving his spirit on the last day. Not sure I get this whole body-spirit dichotomy. Frankly, the only reason I'm curious as to these verses' meaning is if this is some untapped power -- delivering others to liar -- sign me up for that.

No comments: