5.24.2006

but I have called you friends

Eph4 has one of the best of all starts, this calling from Paul to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which we have been called. And this calling probably gets preached on every now and then, but usually focused more on careers or ministries.

But calling is often confused with internal desire. I've heard said "I know this is what the Lord wants me to do because it's something I've always wanted to do, and so He must have put that desire there." Really? Because I desire a twinkie right now, and I don't understand the theology that equates my twinkielust with the noble idea being stated by Paul.

Calling is something that originates from God. It should be clear. It may actually (and my guess is often) go against what you actually desire. Calling won't come from digesting a line of reasoning and deciding upon a best course of action. Calling is all at the level of the soul.

My theory? That most people don't know what their calling is because they haven't asked, and because they haven't shut up long enough for the Lord to tell them. Initially? Let's say 10% of believers know their calling. The other 90? Shut up and ask.

No comments: