5.12.2006

to be generous and ready to share

An interesting read. One sentence in there struck me as rather sad: "And there is little difference between the amounts that Christians and non-Christians earn, spend, save, charge, or donate to charities."

The earning being the same doesn't surprise me. All are called to be His followers, no matter where you fall on the income ladder. Yes, harder through a needle's eye and so on, not needing anything at the top. But on average, I imagine there should be no difference.

The spending/charging and saving doesn't surprise me either. Needs are needs no matter the end of the spectrum. Frankly, the teaching on not saving anything since you can't take it with you, probably has some affect on this statistic.

But giving the same? Lord says that even unbelievers will give their children bread when asked. How are we any different? I assume charities don't include church-giving, but maybe it does. But if His bride can't be any more generous than the world? Considering what I'm preparing for James 2:14-26 -- well, I'm surprised that I'm surprised really. Shouldn't be surprised at all.

No comments: