8.14.2006

after singing a hymn, they went out

This has long been one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite (you always have this or this vying for that title). But their new rendition makes the argument fairly moot with the addition of a beautiful new verse:

I was lost in utter darkness till you came and rescued me.
I was bound in all my sin when your love came and set me free.
Now my soul can sing a new song; now my heart has found a home;
Now your grace is always with me, and I'll never be alone.


All the arguments in the world about the implicit evil bound in contemporary beats and instruments fail before chords that can pluck a heart and remind it that the center of all things, the center of all praise is the Lord Almighty. Something that brings Him into sharper focus, that something can only come from above.

No comments: