9.20.2006

He was speaking of literal sleep

Last few weeks have been restless and tiring, so it is obvious why Heb4 caught my attention so. When I think of Hebrews, I think of the supernatural in Heb1, or the procession of faith heroes in Heb11. I think of Melchizedek in Heb7 and the explanation of sacrifice in Heb9-10.

But I don't think of rest, and it is rest that is the subject of Heb4. Hebrews obviously speaks of the eternal rest we have in Christ, sure, but I can't help but think of the day-to-day rest offered to those in the faith. And while I am trying to meld the spiritual with the mental with the physical, I can't imagine the Lord isn't offering rest in all ways and manners. He does say "Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest" after all.

Not making any strikingly insightful comment. Just noting that Heb4 speaks of something I am long-desiring, and I know the answer to this is the same as the answer to all others: it is in Him.

No comments: